Your instructor may have asked you to use periodicals for referencing your research paper. If so, EBSCOhost is a great resource in which to do that. On EBSCOhost, you'll find peer-reviewed scholarly journals perfect for academic research.
How to search on EBSCOhost: A quick guide
1. You may choose different databases, to narrow down your choices or use Academic Search Complete, a more generalized database.
2. In the first box type in your search term. Select a Field such as 'All Text' to bring in words from the whole article. Adding additional search terms to the 2nd and 3rd boxes will generate better results.
3. Suggested limiters are always ‘full text.’ However, you may also include scholarly journals or publication date ranges, or others as needed. Then click on Search.
4. Hover over the text with the magnifying glass for a summary of the article. For scanned copies of the original articles, look for the PDF option. The primary advantage to a PDF is the inclusion of pictures, charts, and graph.Clicking on PDF or HTML will take you into the article itself.
5. Setting up a free account with EBSCO will allow you to manage resources by saving them in a folder and e-mailing them.
6. You may cite the articles by clicking on the cite bar to your right. You then may copy/paste the information into your works-cited page. Always check with your instructor as to which format you are to use.
EBSCOhost is a database with academic journal articles. It may be searched by topic or by publication.
When searching by topic select limiters such as using the field "TX All Text" - Full Text - Scholarly Journals -- etc.
When searching by Publication, select Publication in the upper blue bar. You may then search for journals or magazines by Title alphabetically, or by Subject - and search within a publication.
There is a very large help area within EBSCOhost, both in written form as well as 4-5 minute tutorials that will guide you through the features of EBSCOhost.
There are topics that cover, Language Translation, eBooks and Audiobooks, Searching, Browsing, Viewing Results, Personalization, Using Folders, Saving Searches & Alerts, Print/E-mail/Save, Citation, and others.
Go to EBSCOhost database link below and click on the 'Help' button on the upper right of the search page. EBSCOhost Help
You can also click on the 'New Features' button to learn about eBooks and Audiobooks.
Allen College Library offers students the use of E-Books in addition to physical books. E-Books may be checked out and read on a computer or mobile device.
Instructions on how to download and read e-Books on a computer can be found on the EBSCO Connect help page or by following this link. E-Book download help. Instructions for downloading an e-Book on a mobile device can be found here. E-Book on a mobile device.
In order to download a book you will need to login to a personal account with EBSCO (not your student ID and 4x4). You will need to create one if you do not already have one. You are given the option of using a Google account to login if you prefer.